Ready for something different? Does your dog love to pull? Would you like to get in shape with your dog bikejoring, scootering (kickbiking) or doing Canicross (running with your dog)? All these sports involve you doing the activity with the assistance of your dog. One to three dogs are commonly used. You provide power pedalling, kicking or running, and the dog adds additional power by running and pulling. The two of you are connected by a length of rope. Many breeds of dog participate in these sports. The only prerequisite is a desire to run down a trail and pull, which is innate in many dogs. (Also check with your vet that your dog is healthy enough for these activities.)
World class competitor Karen Koehler will be your instructor. Koehler has been teaching people how to do activities in the outdoors since 1997. She is a director of the Canadian Association of Harness Dog Sports, and president of the Ontario Federation of Sleddog sports (OFSS), and member of Mush Larose and FQMECA. She has instructed adults and youth at OFSS and FQMECA club events, and taught private lessons for OFSS. She helped bring the 2017 International Federation of Sleddog Sports, Winter World Championship, to Haliburton Ontario, where she competed and placed as top North American female in two events. She competed at the IFSS 2015 Dryland World Championships in Bristol QC. She also competed in IFSS World Championships in Germany, Alaska and Norway.
Level 1: Lessons for beginners who want to learn how to canicross, scooter or bikejor.
Level 2: Lessons for people already experienced with canicross, scooter or bikejor to improve skills, communicating with your dog in harness, and moving as a smoother team.
• Physically fit
• A dog with a desire to run down a trail and pull
• All participants are required to become members of Ontario Federation of Sled Dog Sports
• Participants will sign waivers for Ontario Federation of Sled Dog Sports and Yours Outdoors
• Private - $85/person for first lesson includes instruction, OFSS annual membership and trail fee;$55 for subsequent lessons includes instruction and trail fee.
• Semi Private - $65/person for first lesson includes instruction, OFSS annual membership and trail fee; $35 for subsequent lessons includes instruction and trail fee
• Three to five persons - $55/person for first lesson includes instruction, OFSS membership and trail fee; $30 for subsequent lessons includes instruction and trail fee